Valgrind 3.3 — Advanced Debugging and Profiling for GNU/Linux applications
by J. Seward, N. Nethercote, J. Weidendorfer and the Valgrind Development Team
Paperback (6"x9"), 164 pages
About the Book
This manual describes how to use Valgrind, an award-winning suite of tools for debugging and profiling GNU/Linux programs.
Valgrind detects memory and threading bugs automatically, avoiding hours of frustrating bug-hunting and making your programs more stable. You can also perform detailed profiling, to speed up your programs and reduce their memory usage.
The Valgrind distribution provides five tools for debugging and profiling: Memcheck (a memory error detector), Cachegrind (a cache profiler), Callgrind (a call-graph profiler, Massif (a heap profiler) and Helgrind (a thread error detector). These tools and their options are described in detail, with practical examples and advice.
Valgrind is free software, available under the GNU General Public License. It runs on X86/Linux, AMD64/Linux, PPC32/Linux and PPC64/Linux systems.
This is a printed edition of the official reference documentation for Valgrind 3.3.0.
You can examine the contents of the printed book here,
- View sample pages (individual pages in image format)
- View sample in PDF (contents and selected pages, 150 kB)
For each copy of this manual sold $1 is donated to the Valgrind developers.
As of September 2012, the total amount donated is $1,709.
This book is published under the GNU Free Documentation License.
You can buy the book online at the following bookstores:
- Barnes & Noble.com - USA / International
- The Book Depository.com - USA / International
- Powells.com - USA / International
- Amazon.com - USA / International (note)
- The Book Depository.co.uk - United Kingdom / Europe / International
- Amazon.co.uk - United Kingdom / Europe / International (note)
- Waterstones.com - UK / Europe / International
- Bookzilla.de - Germany / Europe
- Pothi.com - India
The manual can also be ordered from most physical bookstores using the ISBN number.
Print out the following flyer for detailed bookstore and library ordering information,
If the title is listed as "out-of-stock", please ask the bookstore to place an order with one of the wholesale suppliers given in the flyer.
If you encounter any difficulties in obtaining this book, please send an email to firstname.lastname@example.org for assistance.
If you are not completely satisfied with your purchase for any reason we will gladly issue a full refund or replacement (details).
- An Introduction to GCC by B. Gough (ISBN 0-9541617-9-3)
- The CVS manual - Version Management with CVS by Per Cederqvist et al. (ISBN 0-9541617-1-8)
- Comparing and Merging Files with GNU diff and patch by D. MacKenzie, P. Eggert, R. Stallman (ISBN 0-9541617-5-0)
Subscribe to our RSS feed to stay informed about this and other titles.
For questions about this book, please use our email address email@example.com.
Table of Contents
- The Valgrind Quick Start Guide
- Using and understanding the Valgrind core
- Valgrind core: Advanced Topics
- Memcheck: a heavyweight memory checker
- Cachegrind: a cache and branch profiler
- Callgrind: a call graph profiler
- Massif: a heap profiler
- Helgrind: a thread error detector
- Nulgrind: the null tool
- Lackey: a simple profiler and memory tracer
- Valgrind FAQ
- Callgrind Format Specification
- The Design and Implementation of Valgrind