The Python Language Reference Manual (version 3.2)
by Guido van Rossum and Fred L. Drake, Jr.
Paperback (6"x9"), 150 pages - New release! (now shipping - April 2011)
About the Book
This is a printed edition of the official Python language reference manual from the Python 3.2 distribution. It describes the syntax of Python 3 and its built-in datatypes and operators.
This manual covers advanced topics, and is suitable for readers who need to be familiar with the details and rules of the Python language and its object system.
A tutorial suitable for those new to Python is available in the companion volume "An Introduction to Python".
The author of this manual, Guido van Rossum, is the inventor of Python. Fred L. Drake, Jr. is the official editor of the Python documentation.
You can examine the contents of the printed book here,
- View sample pages (individual pages in image format)
- View sample in PDF (contents and selected pages, 240 kB)
For each copy of this manual sold $1 is donated to the Python Software Foundation.
As of September 2012 the total amount donated is $3,571 from the sale of this and other Python manuals.
This book is freely redistributable, under the same license as Python itself.
You can buy the book online at the following bookstores:
- Barnes & Noble.com - USA / International
- The Book Depository.com - USA / International
- Powells.com - USA / International
- Amazon.com - USA / International (note)
- The Book Depository.co.uk - United Kingdom / Europe / International
- Amazon.co.uk - United Kingdom / Europe / International (note)
- Waterstones.com - UK / Europe / International
- Bookzilla.de - Germany / Europe
The manual can also be ordered from most physical bookstores using the ISBN number.
Print out the following flyer for detailed bookstore and library ordering information,
If the title is listed as "out-of-stock", please ask the bookstore to place an order with one of the wholesale suppliers given in the flyer.
If you encounter any difficulties in obtaining this book, please send an email to email@example.com for assistance.
If you are not completely satisfied with your purchase for any reason we will gladly issue a full refund or replacement (details).
- An Introduction to Python - The Python Tutorial (version 3.2) by G. van Rossum, F. Drake, Jr. (ISBN 978-1-906966-13-3)
- The GNU Bash Reference Manual (revised for version 3.2) by C. Ramey, B. Fox (ISBN 0-9541617-7-7)
- The XML 1.0 Standard (5th Edition) by W3C XML Working Group (ISBN 0-9546120-9-4)
- The Perl Language Reference Manual (for Perl version 5.12.1) by L. Wall et al. (ISBN 978-1-906966-02-7)
Subscribe to our RSS feed to stay informed about this and other titles.
For questions about this book, please use our email address firstname.lastname@example.org.
Table of Contents
- Publisher's Preface
- Lexical analysis
- Data model
- Execution model
- Simple statements
- Compound statements
- Top-level components
- History and License
- Python Quiz - test your knowledge of python with our quiz!
- Python Language Reference Manual (September 2003, ISBN 0954161785)