An Introduction to Python - The Python Tutorial (version 3.2)
by Guido van Rossum and Fred L. Drake, Jr.
Paperback (6"x9"), 164 pages - New release! (now shipping - April 2011)
About the Book
This manual is a printed edition of the official Python tutorial from the Python 3.2 distribution. It provides an introduction to Python, an easy to learn object oriented programming language.
The author of this manual, Guido van Rossum, is the inventor of Python. Fred L. Drake, Jr. is the official editor of the Python documentation.
You can examine the contents of the printed book here,
- View sample pages (individual pages in image format)
- View sample in PDF (contents and selected pages, 320 kB)
For each copy of this manual sold $1 is donated to the Python Software Foundation.
As of June 2013 the total amount donated is $3,880 from the sale of this and other Python manuals.
This book is freely redistributable, under the same license as Python itself.
You can buy the book online at the following bookstores:
- Barnes & Noble.com - USA / International
- The Book Depository.com - USA / International
- Powells.com - USA / International
- Amazon.com - USA / International (note)
- The Book Depository.co.uk - United Kingdom / Europe / International
- Amazon.co.uk - United Kingdom / Europe / International (note)
- Waterstones.com - UK / Europe / International
- Bookzilla.de - Germany / Europe
The manual can also be ordered from most physical bookstores using the ISBN number.
Print out the following flyer for detailed bookstore and library ordering information,
If the title is listed as "out-of-stock", please ask the bookstore to place an order with one of the wholesale suppliers given in the flyer.
If you encounter any difficulties in obtaining this book, please send an email to email@example.com for assistance.
If you are not completely satisfied with your purchase for any reason we will gladly issue a full refund or replacement (details).
- The Python Language Reference Manual (version 3.2) by G. van Rossum, F. Drake, Jr. (ISBN 978-1-906966-14-0)
- The GNU Bash Reference Manual (revised for version 3.2) by C. Ramey, B. Fox (ISBN 0-9541617-7-7)
- An Introduction to GCC by B. Gough (ISBN 0-9541617-9-3)
- The Perl Language Reference Manual (for Perl version 5.12.1) by L. Wall et al. (ISBN 978-1-906966-02-7)
Subscribe to our RSS feed to stay informed about this and other titles.
For questions about this book, please use our email address firstname.lastname@example.org.
Table of Contents
- Publisher's Preface
- Whetting Your Appetite
- Using the Python Interpreter
- An Informal Introduction to Python
- More Control Flow Tools
- Data Structures
- Input and Output
- Errors and Exceptions
- What Now?
- Interactive Input Editing and History Substitution
- Floating Point Arithmetic: Issues and Limitations
- History and License
- Python Quiz - test your knowledge of python with our quiz!
- An Introduction to Python (September 2003, ISBN 0954161769)