PostgreSQL 9.0 Reference Manual - Volume 3
About the Book
This manual is the part of the official reference documentation for the PostgreSQL RDBMS (version 9.0.1). This volume is the system administration guide, and covers the installation, configuration and maintenance of PostgreSQL database servers. Topics covered include backups, security, tuning and upgrade procedures, as well as routine tasks such as creating and deleting databases. Later chapters provide a detailed explanation of advanced PostgreSQL features, including file-based and record-based log-shipping, continuous archiving and point-in-time recovery.
The other volumes of this series are Volume 1A "The SQL Language" (ISBN 978-1-906966-04-1), Volume 1B, the "SQL Command Reference" (ISBN 978-1-906966-05-8), and Volume 2, the "Programming Guide" (ISBN 978-1-906966-06-5).
The authors of this manual are the developers of PostgreSQL.
You can examine the contents of the printed book here,
- View sample pages (individual pages in image format)
- View sample in PDF (contents and selected pages, 200 kB)
For each copy of this manual sold $1 is donated to the PostgreSQL project.
As of October 2015 the total amount donated is $4,611 from the sale of this and previous editions.
This book is freely redistributable, under the same license as PostgreSQL itself.
You can buy the book online at the following bookstores:
- Barnes & Noble.com - USA / International
- The Book Depository.com - USA / International
- Powells.com - USA / International
- Amazon.com - USA / International (note)
- The Book Depository.co.uk - United Kingdom / Europe / International (note)
- Amazon.co.uk - United Kingdom / Europe / International (note)
- Waterstones.com - UK / Europe / International
- Bookzilla.de - Germany / Europe
The manual can also be ordered from most physical bookstores using the ISBN number.
Print out the following flyer for detailed bookstore and library ordering information,
If the title is listed as "out-of-stock", please ask the bookstore to place an order with one of the wholesale suppliers given in the flyer.
If you encounter any difficulties in obtaining this book, please send an email to email@example.com for assistance.
If you are not completely satisfied with your purchase for any reason we will gladly issue a full refund or replacement (details).
- PostgreSQL 9.0 Reference Manual - Volume 1A by PostgreSQL Global Development Group (ISBN 978-1-906966-04-1)
- PostgreSQL 9.0 Reference Manual - Volume 1B by PostgreSQL Global Development Group (ISBN 978-1-906966-05-8)
- PostgreSQL 9.0 Reference Manual - Volume 2 by PostgreSQL Global Development Group (ISBN 978-1-906966-06-5)
- The XML 1.0 Standard (5th Edition) by W3C XML Working Group (ISBN 0-9546120-9-4)
For questions about this book, please use our email address firstname.lastname@example.org.
Table of Contents
- Publisher's Preface
- Server Administration
- Installation Instructions
- Client-Only Installation on Windows
- Operating System Environment
- Server Configuration
- Database Roles and Privileges
- Managing Databases
- Client Authentication
- Routine Database Maintenance Tasks
- Backup and Restore
- High Availability and Load Balancing
- Monitoring Database Activity
- Monitoring Disk Usage
- Reliability and the Write-Ahead Log
- Regression Tests
Supplementary Electronic Volumes
Additional volumes available in PDF format only.
- PostgreSQL Reference Manual (version 8.2.4) - Volume 1 (June 2007, ISBN 0954612027)
- PostgreSQL Reference Manual (version 8.2.4) - Volume 2 (June 2007, ISBN 0954612035)
- PostgreSQL Reference Manual (version 8.2.4) - Volume 3 (June 2007, ISBN 0954612043)