PostgreSQL 9.0 Reference Manual - Volume 1B
About the Book
This manual is the part of the official reference documentation for the PostgreSQL RDBMS (version 9.0.1).
This volume describes all the SQL commands available in PostgreSQL. There are over 140 commands from ABORT to VALUES each with a full usage synopsis, description, annotated parameter list and examples. Important commands such as SELECT and GRANT receive extended coverage. The associated client and server command-line tools like psql, pg_dump and pg_restore are also documented.
This volume is part of a set. The separate Volume 1A "The SQL Language" (ISBN 978-1-906966-04-1) documents the SQL language syntax, functions and datatypes as implemented by PostgreSQL. Volumes 1A and 1B are intended to be used together.
The further additional volumes of this series are Volume 2, the "Programming Guide" (ISBN 978-1-906966-06-5), and Volume 3, the "Server Administration Guide" (ISBN 978-1-906966-07-2).
The authors of this manual are the developers of PostgreSQL.
You can examine the contents of the printed book here,
- View sample pages (individual pages in image format)
- View sample in PDF (contents and selected pages, 200 kB)
For each copy of this manual sold $1 is donated to the PostgreSQL project.
As of October 2015 the total amount donated is $4,611 from the sale of this and previous editions.
This book is freely redistributable, under the same license as PostgreSQL itself.
You can buy the book online at the following bookstores:
- Barnes & Noble.com - USA / International
- The Book Depository.com - USA / International
- Powells.com - USA / International
- Amazon.com - USA / International (note)
- The Book Depository.co.uk - United Kingdom / Europe / International (note)
- Amazon.co.uk - United Kingdom / Europe / International (note)
- Waterstones.com - UK / Europe / International
- Bookzilla.de - Germany / Europe
The manual can also be ordered from most physical bookstores using the ISBN number.
Print out the following flyer for detailed bookstore and library ordering information,
If the title is listed as "out-of-stock", please ask the bookstore to place an order with one of the wholesale suppliers given in the flyer.
If you encounter any difficulties in obtaining this book, please send an email to firstname.lastname@example.org for assistance.
If you are not completely satisfied with your purchase for any reason we will gladly issue a full refund or replacement (details).
- PostgreSQL 9.0 Reference Manual - Volume 1A by PostgreSQL Global Development Group (ISBN 978-1-906966-04-1)
- PostgreSQL 9.0 Reference Manual - Volume 2 by PostgreSQL Global Development Group (ISBN 978-1-906966-06-5)
- PostgreSQL 9.0 Reference Manual - Volume 3 by PostgreSQL Global Development Group (ISBN 978-1-906966-07-2)
- The XML 1.0 Standard (5th Edition) by W3C XML Working Group (ISBN 0-9546120-9-4)
For questions about this book, please use our email address email@example.com.
Table of Contents
- Publisher's Preface
- SQL Commands
- PostgreSQL Client Applications
- PostgreSQL Server Applications
- PostgreSQL Error Codes
Supplementary Electronic Volumes
Additional volumes available in PDF format only.
- PostgreSQL Reference Manual (version 8.2.4) - Volume 1 (June 2007, ISBN 0954612027)
- PostgreSQL Reference Manual (version 8.2.4) - Volume 2 (June 2007, ISBN 0954612035)
- PostgreSQL Reference Manual (version 8.2.4) - Volume 3 (June 2007, ISBN 0954612043)