|PostgreSQL Reference Manual - Volume 2 - Programming Guide|
by The PostgreSQL Global Development Group
Paperback (6"x9"), 408 pages
RRP £19.95 ($34.95)
Sales of this book support the PostgreSQL project! Get a printed copy>>>
9 PL/pgSQL - SQL Procedural Language
PL/pgSQL is a loadable procedural language for the PostgreSQL database system. The design goals of PL/pgSQL were to create a loadable procedural language that
- can be used to create functions and trigger procedures,
- adds control structures to the SQL language,
- can perform complex computations,
- inherits all user-defined types, functions, and operators,
- can be defined to be trusted by the server,
- is easy to use.
Except for input/output conversion and calculation functions for user-defined types, anything that can be defined in C language functions can also be done with PL/pgSQL. For example, it is possible to create complex conditional computation functions and later use them to define operators or use them in index expressions.
|ISBN 0954612035||PostgreSQL Reference Manual - Volume 2 - Programming Guide||See the print edition|