|Comparing and Merging Files with GNU diff and patch|
by David MacKenzie, Paul Eggert, and Richard Stallman
Paperback (6"x9"), 120 pages
RRP £12.95 ($19.95)
"Well packaged... the quality of information is excellent" --- Linux User and Developer Magazine (Issue 36, Feb 2004) Get a printed copy>>>
patch and the POSIX Standard
If you specify the
--posix option, or set the
POSIXLY_CORRECT environment variable,
more strictly to the POSIX standard, as follows:
- Take the first existing file from the list (old, new, index) when intuiting file names from diff headers. See section 10.6 Multiple Patches in a File.
- Do not remove files that are removed by a diff. See section 10.4 Creating and Removing Files.
- Do not ask whether to get files from RCS, ClearCase, or SCCS. See section 10.2 Revision Control.
- Require that all options precede the files in the command line.
- Do not backup files, even when there is a mismatch. See section 10.8 Backup Files.
|ISBN 0954161750||Comparing and Merging Files with GNU diff and patch||See the print edition|