|GNU Bash Reference Manual|
by Chet Ramey and Brian Fox
Paperback (6"x9"), 180 pages
RRP £19.95 ($29.95)
"An essential resource .... the most detailed coverage available for all aspects of Bash" --- Linux User and Developer Magazine (Issue 37, Mar 2004) Get a printed copy>>>
These definitions are used throughout the remainder of this manual.
- A family of open system standards based on Unix. Bash is primarily concerned with the Shell and Utilities portion of the POSIX 1003.1 standard.
- A space or tab character.
- A command that is implemented internally by the shell itself, rather than by an executable program somewhere in the file system.
wordthat performs a control function. It is a
newlineor one of the following: ‘||’, ‘&&’, ‘&’, ‘;’, ‘;;’, ‘|’, ‘(’, or ‘)’.
- The value returned by a command to its caller. The value is restricted to eight bits, so the maximum value is 255.
- A unit of text that is the result of one of the shell expansions. After expansion, when executing a command, the resulting fields are used as the command name and arguments.
- A string of characters used to identify a file.
- A set of processes comprising a pipeline, and any processes descended from it, that are all in the same process group.
- A mechanism by which users can selectively stop (suspend) and restart (resume) execution of processes.
A character that, when unquoted, separates words. A metacharacter is
blankor one of the following characters: ‘|’, ‘&’, ‘;’, ‘(’, ‘)’, ‘<’, or ‘>’.
wordconsisting solely of letters, numbers, and underscores, and beginning with a letter or underscore.
Names are used as shell variable and function names. Also referred to as an
control operatoror a
redirection operator. See section 3.6 Redirections, for a list of redirection operators.
- A collection of related processes each having the same process group ID.
process group ID
A unique identifier that represents a
process groupduring its lifetime.
wordthat has a special meaning to the shell. Most reserved words introduce shell flow control constructs, such as
A synonym for
- A mechanism by which a process may be notified by the kernel of an event occurring in the system.
- A shell builtin command that has been classified as special by the POSIX standard.
A sequence of characters considered a single unit by the shell. It is
tokenthat is not an
|ISBN 0954161777||GNU Bash Reference Manual||See the print edition|