|The Apache HTTP Server Reference Manual
by Apache Software Foundation
Paperback (6"x9"), 862 pages
RRP £19.95 ($29.95)
If you are having trouble with your Apache server software, you should take the following steps:
- Check the ErrorLog!
- Apache tries to be helpful when it encounters a
problem. In many cases, it will provide some details by writing
one or more messages to the server error log. Sometimes this is
enough for you to diagnose and fix the problem yourself (such as
file permissions or the like). The default location of the error log is
/usr/local/apache2/logs/error_log, but see the ErrorLog directive in
your config files for the location on your server.
If you end up in any of the support forums this is quite likely to be the first place they will ask you retrieve information from. Please ensure you know where to find your errorlog. If you are unsure, the wiki page here2 can give you some ideas where to look.
- Consult the wiki
- The Apache HTTP Server Wiki3 contains guides to solving many common problems.
- Check the Apache bug database
- Most problems that get reported to The Apache Group are recorded in the bug database4 . Do not submit a new bug report until you have checked existing reports (open and closed) and asked about your problem in a user-support forum (see below). If you find that your issue has already been reported, please don’t add a "me, too" report.
- Ask in a user support forum
- Apache has an active community of users who
are willing to share their knowledge. Participating in this community is
usually the best and fastest way to get answers to your questions and
Users mailing list5
#httpd on Freenode IRC6 is also available for user support issues.
- Please use the bug database for bugs!
- If you’ve gone through those steps
above that are appropriate and have obtained no relief, then please
do let the httpd developers know about the problem by logging a bug
If your problem involves the server crashing and generating a core dump, please include a backtrace8 (if possible).
|ISBN 9781906966034||The Apache HTTP Server Reference Manual||See the print edition|