|The Apache HTTP Server Reference Manual
by Apache Software Foundation
Paperback (6"x9"), 862 pages
RRP £19.95 ($29.95)
The term Virtual Host refers to the practice of running more than one web site (such as www.company1.com and www.company2.com) on a single machine. Virtual hosts can be "IP-based (p. 1053)", meaning that you have a different IP address for every web site, or "name-based (p. 1046)", meaning that you have multiple names running on each IP address. The fact that they are running on the same physical server is not apparent to the end user.
Apache was one of the first servers to support IP-based virtual hosts right out of the box. Versions 1.1 and later of Apache support both IP-based and name-based virtual hosts (vhosts). The latter variant of virtual hosts is sometimes also called host-based or non-IP virtual hosts.
Below is a list of documentation pages which explain all details of virtual host support in Apache version 1.3 and later.
- mod_vhost_alias (p. 985)
- Name-based virtual hosts (p. 1046)
- IP-based virtual hosts (p. 1053)
- Virtual host examples (p. 1070)
- File descriptor limits (p. 1097)
- Mass virtual hosting (p. 1058)
- Details of host matching (p. 1088)
- Name-based Virtual Hosts (p. 1046) (More than one web site per IP address)
- IP-based Virtual Hosts (p. 1053) (An IP address for each web site)
- Virtual Host examples for common setups (p. 1070)
- File Descriptor Limits (p. 1097) (or, Too many log files)
- Dynamically Configured Mass Virtual Hosting (p. 1058)
- In-Depth Discussion of Virtual Host Matching (p. 1088)
If you are trying to debug your virtual host configuration, you may find the Apache -S command line switch useful. That is, type the following command:
This command will dump out a description of how Apache parsed the configuration file. Careful examination of the IP addresses and server names may help uncover configuration mistakes. (See the docs for the httpd program for other command line options.)
|ISBN 9781906966034||The Apache HTTP Server Reference Manual||See the print edition|