Comparing and Merging Files with GNU diff and patch
by David MacKenzie, Paul Eggert, and Richard Stallman
Paperback (6"x9"), 120 pages
ReviewsThis book has received an extremely positive review in Linux User and Developer Magazine:
"Well packaged... the quality of information is excellent" --- Linux User and Developer Magazine (Issue 36, Feb 2004)
About the Book
This manual describes how to compare and merge files using GNU diff and patch.
It includes an extensive tutorial that guides the reader through all the options of the diff and patch commands. Later chapters cover powerful time-saving techniques such as automatic merging of divergent branches of a source tree.
This is a printed copy of the official GNU diffutils manual. It documents all the diffutils programs (diff, cmp, sdiff, diff3), plus GNU patch. The versions covered are the 2.8 release of GNU diffutils and 2.5 release of patch.
The authors of this manual are the original developers of the GNU diffutils programs.
You can examine the contents of the printed book here,
- View sample pages (individual pages in image format)
- View sample in PDF (contents and selected pages, 160 kB)
For each copy of this manual sold, $1 is donated to the Free Software Foundation.
As of September 2012 the total amount donated to FSF is $4,409 from the sale of this and other books.
This book is published under the GNU Free Documentation License.
You can buy the book online at the following bookstores:
- Barnes & Noble.com - USA / International
- The Book Depository.com - USA / International
- Powells.com - USA / International
- Amazon.com - USA / International (note)
- The Book Depository.co.uk - United Kingdom / Europe / International
- Amazon.co.uk - United Kingdom / Europe / International (note)
- Waterstones.com - UK / Europe / International
- Bookzilla.de - Germany / Europe
- Pothi.com - India
The manual can also be ordered from most physical bookstores using the ISBN number.
Print out the following flyer for detailed bookstore and library ordering information,
If the title is listed as "out-of-stock", please ask the bookstore to place an order with one of the wholesale suppliers given in the flyer.
If you encounter any difficulties in obtaining this book, please send an email to email@example.com for assistance.
If you are not completely satisfied with your purchase for any reason we will gladly issue a full refund or replacement (details).
- The CVS manual - Version Management with CVS by Per Cederqvist et al. (ISBN 0-9541617-1-8)
- The GNU Bash Reference Manual (revised for version 3.2) by C. Ramey, B. Fox (ISBN 0-9541617-7-7)
- An Introduction to GCC by B. Gough (ISBN 0-9541617-9-3)
- Valgrind 3.3 - Advanced Debugging and Profiling for GNU/Linux applications by J. Seward, N. Nethercote, J. Weidendorfer et al. (ISBN 0-9546120-5-1)
Subscribe to our RSS feed to stay informed about this and other titles.
For questions about this book, please use our email address firstname.lastname@example.org.
Table of Contents
- Output Formats
- Incomplete Lines
- Comparing Directories
- Adjusting Output
- diff Performance
- Comparing Three Files
- diff3 Merging
- Interactive Merging
- Merging with patch
- Making Patches
- Invoking cmp
- Invoking diff
- Invoking diff3
- Invoking patch
- Invoking sdiff
- Standards conformance
- Copying This Manual
- GNU Diff and Patch Quiz - test your knowledge of diff and patch with our quiz!
- Making and Applying Patches - a short introduction to GNU diff and patch