The GNU Bash Reference Manual (revised for version 3.2)
by Chet Ramey and Brian Fox
Paperback (6"x9"), 204 pages. Revised October 2006.. Out of print - copies may still be available from some bookstores.
ReviewsThis book has received a top-rated review in Linux User and Developer Magazine:
"An essential resource .... the most detailed coverage available for all aspects of Bash" --- Linux User and Developer Magazine (Issue 37, Mar 2004)
About the Book
This manual is the definitive reference for GNU Bash, the standard GNU command-line interpreter. It covers Bash version 3.2 (revised printing November 2006).
GNU Bash is a complete implementation of the POSIX.2 Bourne shell specification (/bin/sh), with additional features from the C-shell (csh) and Korn shell (ksh).
The authors of this manual, Chet Ramey and Brian Fox, are the original developers of GNU Bash.
You can examine the contents of the printed book here,
- View sample pages (individual pages in image format)
- View sample in PDF (contents and selected pages, 230 kB)
For each copy of this manual sold, $1 is donated to the Free Software Foundation.
As of September 2013 the total amount donated to FSF is $4,529 from the sale of this and other books.
This book is published under the GNU Free Documentation License.
This title is now out of print but you may still be able to obtain copies from some bookstores.
- Barnes & Noble.com - USA / International
- The Book Depository.com - USA / International
- Powells.com - USA / International
- Amazon.com - USA / International (note)
- The Book Depository.co.uk - United Kingdom / Europe / International
- Amazon.co.uk - United Kingdom / Europe / International (note)
- Waterstones.com - UK / Europe / International
- Bookzilla.de - Germany / Europe
- Pothi.com - India
If you require further assistance, please send an email to email@example.com.
- The Perl Language Reference Manual (for Perl version 5.12.1) by L. Wall et al. (ISBN 978-1-906966-02-7)
- The CVS manual - Version Management with CVS by Per Cederqvist et al. (ISBN 0-9541617-1-8)
- Comparing and Merging Files with GNU diff and patch by D. MacKenzie, P. Eggert, R. Stallman (ISBN 0-9541617-5-0)
- An Introduction to GCC by B. Gough (ISBN 0-9541617-9-3)
- Valgrind 3.3 - Advanced Debugging and Profiling for GNU/Linux applications by J. Seward, N. Nethercote, J. Weidendorfer et al. (ISBN 0-9546120-5-1)
For questions about this book, please use our email address firstname.lastname@example.org.
Table of Contents
- Basic Shell Features
- Shell Builtin Commands
- Shell Variables
- Bash Features
- Job Control
- Using History Interactively
- Command Line Editing
- Installing Bash
- Reporting Bugs
- Major Differences From The Bourne Shell
- Builtin Index
- Reserved Word Index
- Variable Index
- Function Index
- Concept Index
- GNU Bash Quiz - test your knowledge of GNU Bash our quiz!