An Introduction to R - Second Edition
by W.N. Venables, D.M. Smith and the R Development Core Team
Paperback (6"x9"), 144 pages, 7 figures
About the Book
This tutorial manual provides a comprehensive introduction to GNU R, a free software package for statistical computing and graphics.
This revised and updated second edition covers the 2.9.0 release of R (April 2009), and contains additional examples, notes and corrections.
You can examine the contents of the printed book here,
- View sample pages (individual pages in image format)
- View sample in PDF (contents and selected pages, 190 kB)
All the money raised from the sale of this book supports the development of free software.
This book is freely redistributable, under a license that permits copying and modification.
You can buy the book online at the following bookstores:
- Barnes & Noble.com - USA / International
- The Book Depository.com - USA / International
- Powells.com - USA / International
- Amazon.com - USA / International (note)
- The Book Depository.co.uk - United Kingdom / Europe / International
- Amazon.co.uk - United Kingdom / Europe / International (note)
- Waterstones.com - UK / Europe / International
- Bookzilla.de - Germany / Europe
- Pothi.com - India
The manual can also be ordered from most physical bookstores using the ISBN number.
Print out the following flyer for detailed bookstore and library ordering information,
If the title is listed as "out-of-stock", please ask the bookstore to place an order with one of the wholesale suppliers given in the flyer.
If you encounter any difficulties in obtaining this book, please send an email to firstname.lastname@example.org for assistance.
If you are not completely satisfied with your purchase for any reason we will gladly issue a full refund or replacement (details).
- The R Reference Manual - Volume 1 - Base Package by R Development Core Team (ISBN 978-1-906966-09-6)
- The R Reference Manual - Volume 2 - Graphics by R Development Core Team (ISBN 978-1-906966-10-2)
- The R Reference Manual - Volume 3 - Statistics by R Development Core Team (ISBN 978-1-906966-11-9)
- The R Reference Manual - Volume 4 - Methods and Tools by R Development Core Team (ISBN 978-1-906966-12-6)
- GNU Octave Manual Version 3 by J.W. Eaton et al. (ISBN 0-9546120-6-X)
- GNU Scientific Library Reference Manual - Third Edition (v1.12) by M. Galassi, et al. (ISBN 0-9546120-7-8)
Subscribe to our RSS feed to stay informed about this and other titles.
For questions about this book, please use our email address email@example.com.
Table of Contents
- Introduction and preliminaries
- Simple manipulations; numbers and vectors
- Objects, their modes and attributes
- Ordered and unordered factors
- Arrays and matrices
- Lists and data frames
- Reading data from files
- Probability distributions
- Grouping, loops and conditional execution
- Writing your own functions
- Statistical models in R
- Graphical procedures
- A sample session
- Invoking R
- The command-line editor
- An Introduction to R (First Edition, May 2002, updated Sep 2004, ISBN 0954161742)